Specialist (Level 1) Development Management (Planning Officer)
Permanent full time
Job Grade: G Salary £29,268 – £33,770
Vacancy number MDC001681
Offering new flexible ways of working agile with Council offices based in Princes Road, Maldon available as needed.
Hours: Up to 37 hours per week (possibility of job sharing / part-time hours)
- Flexible work options available
- 25 days of annual leave (plus public holidays)
- Free parking on site
- Payment of an annual professional contribution such as the RTPI (if applicable)
- Automatic membership in the generous local government pension scheme
- Access to our 24/7 Employee Assistance Program and Mental Health First Aid
- Free flu shot every year
- New Car Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Discounted local recreation center membership
- Access to a range of work/life balance policies.
- Health and well-being activities throughout the year
Would you like the opportunity to work in the best Times campaign location while still being close to London? The historic and picturesque area of Maldon, which includes internationally recognized nature reserves, historic buildings and beautiful countryside may be the place for you.
The district has recently experienced unprecedented growth and given the changing landscape of planning and the ongoing review of the LDP, this is expected to continue over the next few years. Maldon District Council offers an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual who wishes to develop and advance their career in development management to join its dynamic team.
You should have a sound and thorough knowledge of planning legislation and extensive practical experience in all aspects of the planning and development process, particularly in relation to planning applications, appeals and applications. implementation of town planning.
This is a great opportunity to further your professional development and gain a Masters in Town Planning (or another related field), where Maldon District Council will support you through a release day , regular case conferences and possible help with course fees.
About this role
- As one of our experienced Maldon District Council specialists, you will take responsibility for your workload, prepare reports and make recommendations on planning applications and other planning related matters.
- You will prepare appeal statements for decision/clearance with the Lead Specialist Coordinator or Lead Development Management Specialist.
- You will act as the point of contact between Board members and the department regarding development management issues and respond to service-related inquiries, complaints, and freedom of information requests.
- You will provide support to other Scheduling Officers and other internal teams and guide applicants through the scheduling process, including providing strong, timely and comprehensive pre-application advice.
- Able to communicate clearly and articulately with speech
- Able to make informal and formal presentations and confident in communicating with a wide range of people at all levels
- Able to write concise and articulate reports presenting clear and convincing arguments
- Able to prioritize and effectively manage your workload
- Apply a methodical and thorough approach to routine tasks and when it comes to detailed work
- Able to take initiative in own role when required
- Able to meet tight deadlines while maintaining quality through effective time management and progress review
- Commitment to providing high quality service to customers
We are looking for people who:
- Hold a relevant qualification in urban planning or work there.
- Have a minimum of 2 years of work experience in development planning or management.
- Current member of the Royal Institute of Urban Planning (RTPI), preferred
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Have a positive solution-seeking approach to working while achieving goals and meeting deadlines.
- Can demonstrate a team spirit, appreciate the organization’s corporate goals and have a clear commitment to providing customer-focused service.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications and experience in the use of local authority software packages (ideally Uniform and Civica).
- Contribute to the provision and maintenance of an effective and efficient development management service for the district as a whole, maintaining current development management practices, building on and applying new legislation, case law and codes of practice based on area duties and requirements.
- Able to attend the office for team meetings, training and development, and committee meetings as required.
- Has access to a vehicle and can conduct site visits throughout the district.
- For an informal discussion on this position
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Hannah Wheatley: 01621 732646 or Alex Taylor: 01621 732836, or download the job description.
Deadline: January 31, 2022.